Optimizing wellness throughout Life

Stay up to date with interesting articles and personal feedback from Regenesis of Erie on the latest wellness information.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

On a Personal Note

Hello!

I generally try to make my posts about an informative subject that has article links and data tables, but sometimes I feel a post about real life experiences are needed. I am not just talking about testimonials from the people I've worked with or their results, but rather stories of how our work together has transformed aspects of their lives, using the philosophies I try and install when I take on a new client.  I am always trying to preach that the exercise we work with in the studio should somehow apply to the real world in order to justify actually performing them.

Last week, a client of mine returned from a vacation from California (lucky bum), but came home to find a driveway full of snow and a layer of ice under it to boot.  This person, had a history of back, hip and shoulder problems when we first met, but we've worked very hard over our time together and to hear their story of how they dealt with their situation was exciting. They told me how shoveling all that snow was nothing more than a chore, and that at no time did they suffer from the usual pain shoveling would usually cause.  That was nice to hear, but it was how they used their training and carried it over from our work at the studio to the real world that was that most gratifying part. "I thought about the squat form you taught me and kept my core engaged while using my legs and arms to lift the snow all while using my core to twist and turn" was the statement they gave me in a nutshell.  To hear that they consciously used their training and applied it to the real world is a great way to see the results and know they our work together has been a success.

Another person I've worked with for some time now had a hip replacement in May.  Hip replacement is never a fun experience, but long before the hip bones became a problem we spent a lot of time working on improving their overall daily needs to try and avoid a situation like a hip replacement.  Unfortunately the damage to the hip socket over the years forced this person to go through with the surgery, but with a combination of their previous conditioning and a month of specific pre-surgery exercises, they were in the 95th percentile of recovery after the first month and were able to begin rehab shortly after.  As you can imagine this person's recovery process was greatly improved and expedited and we are again back to work with each other performing balancing squats on the Bosu ball, working on the TRX and all the other challenges we used to work on beforehand . Not bad for 76 as I like to kid, but to hear the results from the doctor about having excellent bone density and great muscular strength, all of which led to the quick rehab process was the icing on the cake for me, not too mention seeing them back to a point where you would never know they had a replacement.

Finally, on New Year's day, I received a text from a former client of mine who, when we worked back in 2011, we were preparing for an NFL scouting day.  The process was a very long and hard experience and we accomplished a lot in the time frame we were given.  After a little time in the CFL (Canadian football league) he has moved back to the states and joined the UIFL (Ultimate Indoor Football League) I was impressed to hear that he was the rookie of the year in that league, not that I would expect any less, but it was great to hear how our experiences together have helped him and his success over the past year. Here is a highlight reel of a guy who may or may not be the person in question, but I can't say....

Stories such as these are not only uplifting, but are also a reminder as to why I entered this field.  Seven years ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you a reason other than to help people reach their goals or to train athletes, but after these and many other similar experiences I know why I do this for a living.  I may not be curing cancer or saving lives, but in my own way I feel special that I am able to help people get through their daily lives with ease and lower the risk of injury or play at another level of success.  I don't always like to brag, but when I hear enough spontaneous testimonials in a week's span I feel it's in the cards.

As always I would like to thank those who I currently work with, but also anyone in the past as well.  If not for the chance to apply these techniques and philosophies I wouldn't be where I am today so Thank You!


"A perfect Earth doesn't need a Superman" Kal-El(that would be superman to you non-nerds lol) from "Infinite Crisis"

Like Regenesis on Facebook
Regenesis Home Page

No comments:

Post a Comment